Attention NAN youth who have been receiving bounce back e-mails when sending in your application and attachments: Please resend to firstname.lastname@example.org or email directly to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org - Sorry for the inconvenience & we appreciate your patience.
NAN Australian Youth Delegation
NAN has been invited to send a youth delegation to the 2nd National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and World Indigenous Suicide Prevention Conferences in Perth, Australia on November 21st – 24th, 2018. A youth summit will coincide with the main conference, with attendees from around Australia, as well as the United States and New Zealand.
This event will provide a forum for youth to develop leadership skills, share their visions for healthy communities and to advocate for their peers. It will also provide unique opportunities for youth to develop an international network and share cultural practices and learn about the unique Indigenous culture in Australia.
NAN is seeking Expressions of Interest from NAN youth to participate in this Australian Youth Delegation.
Call for Expressions of Interest
To be considered for the Australian Youth Delegation, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Age: Must be 16-24 years-old (As of January 2018)
- If under 18, a designated chaperone will need to be identified and commit to chaperone for the duration of the trip.
- Background: Must be a NAN member*
- Time commitment: Must be available for (tentative) dates from November 17-30, 2018
- Must have a valid passport or obtain a valid passport.
- Must abide by a Code of Conduct to be circulated once selection process is complete.
- Must be willing to develop presentations and speak at the World Indigenous Suicide Prevention Conferences, including large and small groups and news media as required.
- Willingness to share key learnings with peers and NAN leadership (e.g. personal experiences; reasons for participation; objectives for conference etc...)
* Inclusive of Treaty No. 9, the Ontario portion of Treaty No. 5, and Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug
If you are submitting an expression of interest you must have:
- The ability to travel long-distance (total duration of travel one-way is approximately 35 hours).
- An interest in cultural and knowledge exchange.
- A willingness to fundraise a portion of your travel expenses. Each youth is expected to fundraise $1,000 by seeking individual sponsorship or fundraising in your community.
HOW TO APPLY
Expressions of Interest will be accepted from Thursday June 14 to Friday July 20, 2018 at 5 p.m. All interested youth are requested to submit the following three items:
- Must include:
- Contact Information
- Brief Biography
- Signed Statement of Consent
- From either your First Nation Chief and Council; or
- a mentor or leader who has worked with you in the past (e.g. a teacher, school guidance counsellor, a current or former employer etc.)
Expression of Interest
- Your Expression of Interest can be in the form of either a letter, short video or artwork.
- Your expression of interest will include answers to the following questions:
- Why you would like to participate as a youth delegate?
- What you would share about your culture and community with Youth in Australia?
- What you would like to learn while participating in the activities?
- How would you share what you learn and experience with youth from your First Nation?
- If you are submitting a letter it must by typed, no longer than two pages, via email or fax.
- If you are submitting video it must be no longer than 5 minutes in duration, via email or mail.
- If you are submitting another form of artwork, please also include a brief explanation of your artwork, via mail or email a scanned copy.
WHERE TO APPLY
Please submit all Expressions of Interest to:
Catherine Cheechoo, Director of Women and Youth Advocacy
Mail: 710 Victoria Avenue East, Thunder Bay, Ontario P7C 5P7
Please send questions and other inquiries to
Call for Expressions of Interest and Application forms are available at: www.nan.on.ca/youthdelegation
For information on the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and World Indigenous Suicide Prevention Conference please visit: http://ispc2018.com/world_indigenous_suicide_prevention