Nishnawbe Aski Nation (NAN) AIDS and Healthy Lifestyles Program focus is education, awareness and prevention for 49 communities within NAN territory. Our mandate is: to reduce and help prevent HIV infections; increase awareness of HIV/AIDS and promote the adoption of healthy lifestyles.
By providing education, awareness and prevention sessions; training opportunities and resource development appropriate for NAN member First Nations.
Education, awareness and prevention initiatives:
- To enhance knowledge and understanding, education to prevent transmission
- Community request health education activities (includes community workshops, classroom presentations, education displays/booths, NAN health fairs, NAN Elders and Youth gatherings...)
- provide skill building, planning and capacity development, information dissemination for Nishnawbe Aski Nation Community Front Line Workers, Youth and Elders/Church Leaders
- pamphlets, posters, videos, public service announcements, youth peer education manual, curriculum for Grades 1-8 and Grades 9-12
- acquire and distribute education kits annually to NAN First Nations members
HIV and AIDS education plays a vital role in preventing HIV infection and reducing stigma and discrimination.