Jason Smallboy is a member of Moose Cree First Nation and was raised in Moose Factory. He attended post-secondary school in Windsor studying business administration and human resource management.
Jason was elected to his first term as Deputy Grand Chief in 2016 while working as an Executive Assistant for his home community of Moose Cree First Nation. He has an extensive background working with First Nations and affiliated organizations including Nishnawbe Aski Nation, the Matawa and Mushkegowuk Tribal Councils, the Moose Cree Education Authority & Health Authority, the Windsor Friendship Centre, St. Clair College and the Aboriginal Head Start program in Windsor.
Jason has served on several boards and committees. He has also done volunteer work with Chiefs of Ontario, NAN, Mushkegowuk Council and his home community.
He has strong ties to NAN territory as his great-grandfather, Simon Smallboy, was an original signatory to Treaty No. 9. His grandfather, Johnny Smallboy, was a veteran of the Second World War. Jason has harvested in the traditional homelands of his ancestors, and his family’s traditional territory has been declared a protected area.
Jason likes to be active and performed at the Four Host First Nations Aboriginal Pavilion during the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics. Hockey is his favorite sport, and he is a diehard supporter of the Detroit Red Wings. He is a strong believer that physical fitness can improve health and wellness and supports the development and promotion of more athletics and recreation activities in NAN First Nations, especially in isolated and remote communities.
Jason currently lives with his family in Timmins and primarily works from NAN’s eastern office.
PORTFOLIO AND RESPONSIBILITIES
HEALTH POLICY & PLANNING
- Aboriginal Healing and Wellness Strategy
- Health Promotion
- Mental Health & Addictions
- Non Insured Health Benefits and Medical Transportation
- Pandemic Planning/Emergency Preparedness
- Prescription Drug Abuse
- Chronic Disease
- Aboriginal Diabetes Education Initiative
- Aboriginal Health Babies/Healthy Children
- Aboriginal Responsible Gambling Strategy
- HIV/AIDS and Healthy Lifestyles
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder
NAN REPRESENTATION – COMMITTEE PARTICIPATION
- Sioux Lookout Four Party & Anishinabe Health Plan Oversight Committee
- NAN / FNIHB Working Group on NIHB and Medical Transportation
- Sioux Lookout Chiefs Committee on Health
- Keewatin Table
- NAN Chiefs Political Group on Health/NAN Health Advisory Group
- Ontario Chiefs Committee on Health