The Nishnawbe Aski Nation (NAN) Education Unit assists in advocacy for adequate and sustainable funding for high quality education programs and services by the Government of Canada and delivered by NAN First Nations and First Nations organizations.
The Education Unit carries out the direction of the NAN Chiefs-in-Assembly and is mandated to work with the NAN Chiefs Committee on Education and the NAN Education Committee.
The Education Unit acts on behalf of NAN communities and assumes a leadership role to ensure that First Nation education issues and needs are identified, addressed, evaluated and assessed through the NAN Education Strategic Plan. The goals of the Plan are:
- To ensure provision of appropriate special education funding and programming for NAN students.
- To promote education capacity development in NAN First Nation communities.
- To help ensure availability of adequate, needs-based funding for education programs and services within NAN.
- To support the availability of appropriate curriculum in NAN First Nation schools.
- To document Education capital backlog within NAN First Nations.
- To document the post-secondary funding requirements and analyze current INAC funding policies.
- To actively support and provide input to the Education Jurisdiction negotiations and the codification of NAN education laws.
In August 2009 NAN Chiefs-in-Assembly adopted the NAN Education Policy Framework, which is comprised of:
- NAN First Nation Vision
- Measuring Success