See a fire? Call to report and receive more info
August 11, 2020
Nipigon 51 is located near Pichinamei Lake, approximately 63 kilometres northwest of Eabametoong First Nation (Fort Hope). The four hectare fire is not under control.
- Fort Frances 41 (0.3 hectares) and Fort Frances 42 (two hectares in size) are located near the Seine River, approximately 31 and 24 kilometres northeast of Atikokan, respectively. Both fires are not under control.
- Thunder Bay 57 is located west of Lac Des Mille Lacs, approximately 23 kilometres southwest of Upsala. The 8.0 hectare fire is not under control.
- Nipigon 52 and Nipigon 53 are located near the Gravel River, approximately 95 and 109 kilometres south west of Geraldton, respectively. Both fires are not under control.
- Sioux Lookout 52 is located near Wilkie Lake, approximately 123 kilometres west of Sioux Lookout. The 10 hectare fire is not under control.
Fire of Note – Red Lake 49
Red Lake 49, which resulted in a municipal evacuation order for the residents of Red Lake, has grown to 550 hectares, moving eastward from its origins near Madsen. The fire is approximately three kilometres south of the Red Lake townsite and three kilometres west of Hwy. 105. Air Attack planes, Initial Attack FireRangers and heavy equipment worked throughout the day to slow the fire’s progress. An Incident Management Team has arrived in the community and will assume command of the fire-fighting effort. For up-to-date information on road closures, check 511.on.ca.
- At the time of this update there were 29 active fires in the Northwest Region. Twelve fires are not under control, four fires are being held, four fires are under control and eight fires are being observed. One fire was called out today.
- The forest fire hazard is high to extreme across the Northwest Region.
Seven new fires were confirmed in the Northwest Region by the early evening of Aug. 11
- To see the fire hazard near you and to monitor the fire situation in your area, consult the interactive fire map at Ontario.ca/forestfire
MNR Fire Information Officer, Northwest Region
For up to the minute information of road closures, see 511.on.ca.
For updates on the fire situation, visit https://www.ontario.ca/page/forest-fires