Alvin Fiddler was born in Sioux Lookout and raised in Muskrat Dam First Nation. He left his community at age 13 to attend high school in Sioux Lookout and Thunder Bay, and studied business management at the University of Lethbridge.
In the early 1990s Alvin helped his family establish a fishing and hunting camp in their traditional territory in Two Rivers. From 1990-1993 he served as the first Executive Director of the Tommy Beardy Memorial Family Treatment Centre in Muskrat Dam, a residential program for substance abusers and their families.
Alvin served as Deputy Chief of Muskrat Dam from 1993-1998. He served as Health Director at Nishnawbe Aski Nation from 1998 until his election to the Executive Council in 2003. He served consecutive terms as Deputy Grand Chief before joining the Truth and Reconciliation Commission as Manager of Regional and Ontario Regional Liaisons in 2010. He was elected Deputy Grand Chief again in 2012 and Grand Chief in 2015.
Alvin has led justice initiatives including the Ipperwash, Goudge and Kashechewan inquests, and the joint inquest into the deaths of seven NAN youth in Thunder Bay. He co-chaired the Debwewin Jury Review Implementation Committee for the implementation of the recommendations from the Hon. Frank Iacobucci’s report on First Nations representation on Ontario juries.
Alvin’s father Moses witnessed the signing of the Treaty No. 9 adhesion in Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug in 1929. He maintains the belief of the Elders that we never surrendered our jurisdiction over the land.
He lives in Thunder Bay with his wife Tesa and daughters Lynette and Allison.
PORTFOLIO AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Chiefs Assemblies
- Communications & Public Relations
- Executive Council Meetings
- Human Resources
INFRASTRUCTURE AND HOUSING
- Housing and Intra-Community Infrastructure
- Water & Wastewater
- Winter Roads
- All Season Roads
- Fire Safty/Prevention
ABORIGINAL AND TREATY RIGHTS
- Heritage and Burials Sites
- Consultation and Accommodation
- Treaty Research and Claims
- NAN/CANADA FN Governance Negotiations
- Licencing Program - Fur Depot
- NAN/Canada Bilateral Relationships
- Seven NAN First Nation Youth Inquest
- Far North Act
- TRC Final Report and Recommendations
- Nishnawbe-Aski Police Service
- Strengthening Relationships
- Declaration of Health and Public Health Emergency
NAN REPRESENTATION – COMMITTEE PARTICIPATIONNishnawbe-Aski Police Service Board
- Nishnawbe-Aski Police Service Board
- Debwewin Jury Review Implementation Committee
- Chiefs of Ontario Political Confederacy
- Ontario First Nations Committee on Housing (COO)
- Regional Housing Liaison Committee (AANDC,CMHC, FNs)
- Assembly of First Nations Confederacy
- OFNLP/OFNLP 2008
- Joint Action Table on Health