First Nation Leaders Declare Health and Public Health Emergency
On February 24, 2016 Nishnawbe Aski Nation (NAN) Grand Chief Alvin Fiddler and representatives of the Sioux Lookout Area Chiefs Committee on Health (CCOH) declared a Health and Public Health Emergency for First Nations in the Sioux Lookout region and across NAN territory.
The Health and Public Health Emergency was declared to address urgent and long-standing health issues caused by the inequality of health and health care services. Supported by Chiefs, First Nation and public health officials, the Grand Chief and First Nation leaders from the Sioux Lookout region issued a declaration calling for immediate, intermediate and long-term action strategies and are calling on the governments of Ontario and Canada to take immediate action to address this crisis, including:
- Meet with Health Ministers to commence an investment and intervention plan, on an urgent basis.
- Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada to provide detailed plans and timelines indicating how First Nations communities will be provided with safe, clean and reliable drinking water.
- Health Canada to provide detailed plans and timelines on how they will follow all the recommendations in the Auditor General’s Spring 2015 Report.
To download news release click here
To download declaration click here
To download backgrounder click here
To download video clip of Norman Shewaybick's story click: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xw9pd38nxuxwoxy/Norman_Shewaybick_Clip.mp4?dl=0
Miigwetch to the following for their support!
- Assembly of First Nations
- Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak Inc.
- Heart and Stroke Foundation
- Sioux Lookout Region Physicians - Letter: MDs plead for First Nations
- MP Bob Nault (Kenora) - Letter: Health Crisis in Northern Communities
- Dignitas International
About Nishnawbe Aski Nation:
Nishnawbe Aski Nation (NAN) represents 49 First Nation communities in James Bay Treaty No. 9 and Ontario portions of Treaty No. 5 – an area covering two thirds of the province of Ontario in Canada.
Sioux Lookout First Nations Health Authority (SLFNHA) serves 33 First Nation communities in the Sioux Lookout region in Ontario, Canada.
For more information please contact: Roxann Shapwaykeesic, Communications Officer – Nishnawbe Aski Nation (807) 625-4906 or cell (807) 251-6876 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org