FORMER NATIONAL CHIEF AND EXPERTS IN INDIGENOUS LAW ANNOUNCED AS SUMMIT SPEAKERS
THUNDER BAY, ON (May 14, 2018): Former National Chief for the Assembly of First Nations Ovide Mercredi and former Grand Chief of Nishnawbe Aski Nation (NAN) Wally McKay will be among the First Nations leaders addressing the determiNATION Summit over two days in Ottawa.
NAN has released a growing list of speakers and facilitators who will guide the first Indigenous-led summit building solutions for moving beyond the Indian Act. Delivered in collaboration with Osgoode Hall Law School, it will be held on May 23 and 24, 2018, on the traditional and unceded territories of the Algonquin Nation.
- Ovide Mercredi - Former National Chief for the Assembly of First Nations
- Satsan George - Former President, National Centre for First Nations Governance
- Alvin Fiddler - Grand Chief of Nishnawbe Aski Nation
- Karen Drake - Professor at Osgoode Hall Law School
- Kimberly Murray - Assistant Deputy Attorney General for Aboriginal Justice for Ontario
- Tracey Lindberg - Cree Author and Professor at University of Ottawa Faculty of Law
- Tanya Talaga - Anishinaabe Canadian Journalist and Bestselling Author
- Sylvia McAdam Saysewahum - Founding Member of Idle No More, Lawyer, Professor, and Author
- Jeffery Hewitt - Indigenous Bar Association Past-President, Law Professor at the University of Windsor
- And many more...
Read a current list of speakers and register to participate at determinationsummit.ca.
Members of the media can accredit online here.
For more information please contact:
Michael Heintzman, Nishnawbe Aski Nation, nan%23on%23ca|mheintzman, 807-621-2790
Caitlin Kealey, MediaStyle, mediastyle%23ca|media, 613-818-7956