Derek Fox is an Anishinaabe, lawyer and an avid outdoorsman. He is from Bearskin Lake First Nation in Treaty No. 9 territory. He has two children.
As a youth, he found strength and comfort on the outdoor rink and his love of hockey, first-round draft choice when he was 16 years old. He was also given opportunities to play for Ted Nolan and with First Nations hockey star Jonathon Cheechoo on the International stage.
Derek enjoyed a successful career in major junior and semi-pro hockey. He combined his love of the sport with his desire to pursue an education by playing hockey at University. Soon after he was blessed with his first son, he received a degree in Political Science and Economics from the University of Manitoba. After the birth of his second son, Derek decided to pursue a career in law and completed his Juris Doctorate Law Degree at the University of Manitoba in 2013
He practiced Civil Litigation with a focus on Aboriginal, corporate and commercial law. He has a passion for his people, his territory, and for instilling a love of culture, sport, and education in Anishinaabe youth. He encourages young people to be focused and determined so they can reach the highest levels of education possible.
Derek was first elected as one of three Deputy Grand Chiefs of Nishnawbe Aski Nation in August 2015 and was re-elected in 2018. He is a well-regarded speaker, opinion leader and sits on a number of Board and Committees. His current portfolio responsibilities include Education, Justice, Language and Youth.
PORTFOLIO AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Education Jurisdiction
- Post-Secondary Institutions and Initiatives
- Special Education
- Education Partnership Program (EPP)
- Native Education and Training Strategy
- Preservation and Retention
- Community Relations
- Government Advocacy
- Community Development (Urban & Community Level)
- Recommendations and Strategies
- The Oshkaatisak (All Young Peoples) Council
NAN REPRESENTATION – COMMITTEE PARTICIPATION
- Bora Laskin Law School Advisory Board
- NAN Committee on Education
- Chiefs of Ontario First Nations Education Coordinating Unit (FNECU)
- AFN Chiefs Committee on Education (CCOE)
- Oshki-Pimache-O-Win – Ex-officio
- NAN Legal Services Corporation – Ex-Officio
- Indigenous Justice Group– Co Chair (indigenous Justice Division – Ministry of Attorney General)